TeachTown Middle Social Skills offers teachers a comprehensive curriculum to teach crucial social skills, with a focus on increasing emotional intelligence and building self-management skills. This program utilizes evidence-based practices, such as video modeling, Peer-Mediated Instruction and Intervention, and visual supports, to teach appropriate, positive social skills and replacement behaviors. TeachTown Middle School Social Skills includes teacher-driven lesson plans that encourage the students to practice the appropriate social skills in the school setting along with their peers, interactive activities to build comprehension, and an online Comic Strip Builder where students can build their own social comics.
- Joining a Group
- Respecting Differences
- Respecting Personal Boundaries
- Understanding Different Relationships
- Friendship Qualities: Who is a Friend?
Domain 2: Interpersonal Skills
- How to Initiate a Conversation
- How to Leave a Conversation
- How to Greet Others
- Taking Turns in Conversations
- Interpreting Body Language
- Understanding the Perception of Others
Domain 3: Problem-Solving
- Asking for Help
- Finding a Compromise
- Working Together to Solve a Problem
- How to Respectfully Disagree
- Accepting Responsibility
- Handling Peer Pressure
Domain 4: Self-Awareness
- Staying Calm When Things Change
- Expressing and Responding to Anger
- Handling Frustration
- What to Do When You’re Worried
- Recognizing Your Strengths and Personal Qualities
Domain 5: Personal Care
- Dealing with Body Changes
- Managing Body Odor
Domain 6: Safety and Community Participation
- Social Media and Internet Safety
- Communicating via Text/Email
- Taking Safe and Appropriate “Selfies”
- Feeling Left Out
- How to Get Someone’s Attention
- Handling Bullying
- How to Stick Up for Yourself
- Covering Your Mouth to Cough or Sneeze
- Keeping a Clean Appearance
- Following Directions
- Following Signs and Community Rules
- Each target social skill includes one Interactive Activity. This is an activity that the student can work on independently to improve their comprehension of the TeachTown Middle School Social Skills episodes and ability to make inferences about social situations. The Interactive activities are designed to supplement the teacher-driven lesson plans, and can be assigned as individual in-class activities or as homework.
- The students will watch clips of the animated episode and will answer 10 multiple choice questions (interspersed between clips) about the target skill.
– The questions and response options will be read aloud to them, so even students who are not fluent readers will be able to access this activity.
- Data will be collected on their correct responses out of a possible 10 and reported, allowing teachers to use this activity for progress monitoring.
- Students will be able to create their own social comic using the TeachTown scenes and characters. They will be able to add dialogue and will be able to save and print their comic strip.
- There is a 5-panel comic strip and a 3-panel comic strip available for students who have varying ability levels and needs.
- Prewriting worksheets are available for teachers to print and use with the students to help them “plan” their comic so that it follows the parts of a story (for an academic activity/extension).
– Students can also access the Comic Strip Builder “for fun”!